When you want to choose the best possible speed reading software for your purposes, just how do you go about it? What do you look for, what should you avoid, and just how much should you pay. Because there are speed reading softwares available that range in price from eighteen dollars to a hundred dollars or even more, but the bottom line here is value-for-money, what you get for what you pay, or, in other words, just how much a software you buy will actually increase your reading speed. Well, we’ll try to help you a bit by showing you the salient points that you have to examine before you make a decision about which software you wish to purchase.
- Generally speaking any software that you purchase must first of all be easy to use and interesting enough. If the exercises don’t hold your interest, it’s more than likely that you’ll abandon your speed reading efforts long before you achieve any proficiency. Content is important, and while no speed reading software can contain dozens of books, the best ones will allow you to import text into the software so that you can not only practice speed reading, but practice it on material that is of interest to you. And of course the most optimal of speed reading softwares will allow you to browse certain information based sites right on the net, within the utility itself.
- The second thing that any good speed reading software needs is exercises to ensure that you not only read at amazing speeds, but have the ability to actually understand a great deal of what you read at those speeds. There’s little use of being able to read a thousand words or more a minute if you don’t understand more than 20% of what you read.
- A third aspect of any speed reading utility is exercises that remove slow-reading habits. These habits are usually remnants from the time when you first learned to read, and are by now probably extremely deep seated. Usually, merely removing bad habits of this sort will double your reading speed.
- Videos that explain the basics and advanced methods of speed reading are always a big plus as well – if your speed reading software includes this, it’s bound to be of additional use to you.
- After sales support is also important – you want to know that if you have a problem with the software, help is just a phone call away. Another nice thing that it would be nice to have would be free updates to the software.
- Lastly, and yet perhaps the most important point of all – any software that you think of purchasing must have a free trial, and you must be able to go through the free trial before purchasing it. Free trials differ – some will give you a certain number of free exercises, others will allow you a certain number of sessions. A third kind allows you to use the software for a certain number of days. It doesn’t matter much which kind a software offers – what does matter is that the free trial should give you an adequate ‘feel’ for the software, so that you can be confident of it suiting you.